- The goal of building camping skills in Scouting is to help Scouts feel more comfortable and confident while living outdoors.
- Camping offers a chance to get away from the busyness and distractions of everyday life and spend time in nature with your friends.
- Scouts that develop good camping skills will open a gateway to many other fun outdoor adventures.
Our annual plan includes camping in 8 of the 9 months during the school year.
Our Scouts have selected monthly themes this year to include:
- Mountain Biking
- Water Skiing/Wakeboarding
- Horseback Riding
- Rifle Shooting
- Shotgun Shooting
- Wilderness Survival
- Climbing and Rappelling
- Paddle Sports
In early June, Troop 444 spends a week at a Summer Camp selected by our Scouts.
Most recently, we have visited:
- Constantin (2011, 2013, 2017, 2021)
- Camp Orr in Arkansas (2021)
- Camp Hale in Oklahoma (2018, 2019)
- Camp Wehinahpay in New Mexico (2013, 2016)
- Kerr Scout Ranch in Oklahoma (2015)
- Camp Bartle in Missouri (2014)
- Spanish Peaks in Colorado (2012)
On winter break, we spend a few days at Trevor Rees-Jones Scout Camp. The cool weather and change of location make this a very different experience than summer camp.
The Troop has an active High Adventure program.
We traditionally visit Philmont (the closest national BSA base to Richardson) every other year, and rotate through the other three BSA High Adventure Bases as the Scouts choose in alternating years:
- Philmont Scout Ranch (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2021)
- Sea Base (2012, 2017, 2018)
- Northern Tier Canoe Base (2014, 2018)
- Bechtel Reserve (2019)
See our high adventure page for more information.
In addition to the BSA High Adventure programs, the troop also organizes other exciting trips:
- Devil’s Den State Park, Arkansas (2021, 2016)
- Grand Canyon six-day Trek (2012-2017)
- Olympic National Park Trek (2015-2016)
- Big Bend National Park (2016)
- Guadalupe Peak and Carlsbad Caverns (2015)
- Snowshoeing/Ice Climbing, Colorado (2014)
- Mount Ranier Expedition (2013)
- Rocky Mountain National Park Trek (2012)
- Caprock Canyon (2018, 2020)
Click here for a full list of adventure trips dating back to 1980